Monday 7 March 2011

A word from an Interior Design Grad

A Word from an Interior Design Grad
It’s been a long road but hang in thereJ

It all started when I was little. I would move around the furniture in my room to have a change - to be able to see my room from a different perspective. I would get really excited when my bed or my dresser was in a different place, because I liked the change and it was almost like going on vacation without leaving home.  I don’t know why exactly I felt this way, but I enjoyed it - it was fun for me!
While I was growing up, I went through public school and high school always taking Art. I loved drawing and painting and creating! Finally in high school, you had to make the decision of what you wanted to take in college.  So, I chose Interior Design.

From there came Sheridan College. Not only was it a huge change for a small town girl to move to a city (Oakville, Ontario), but it was a whole new outlook of what I wanted my life to look like and deciding what I wanted my career to be. I didn’t know anyone at Sheridan. I moved away from home and my friend’s and we parted our separate ways to go away to school… this was a major change.

Throughout my time at Sheridan, I learned that anything I wanted to know about this career, I could learn right there. Anything that I needed help with, I could ask a professor. Sheridan was a great experience and yes, I would do it again (I wouldn’t like going through the stress again, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right!) and being at Sheridan and learning all that I did, did make me stronger, it gave me confidence that I could do anything that I set my mind to. The Interior Design course at Sheridan did have a very heavy workload, but I figure that if I could handle all of it, than I can handle anything. I recommend taking the Interior Design course at Sheridan College to anyone interested in Interior Design because Sheridan has great courses and great faculty that help, support and inspire you to do your best.

After graduation, I found it very hard because I had applied to countless companies hoping to hear back for a job placement, and since I graduated at the peak of the recession, getting a job, has been a great challenge in itself. But I have taken that opportunity to start a business with my business partner whom I met at a company who I did hear back from and get a job with. The business is still brand new and we’re still learning about what it’s like to be entrepreneurs. The journey has been fun and rewarding so far! Our business is DesignSquareD2. If you would like us to help you with staging your own home, please check out our website by clicking on DesignSquareD2 and it will take you right to our site.

If you’re feeling blue about the fact that you haven’t heard back from any companies, or you’re adjusting back to living at home and you don’t have the freedom that you had when you were away at school and you miss your friend’s, take comfort in knowing that you’re not alone. I’m still feeling that way. I think it takes awhile to adjust, because it’s like going backwards after you’ve already gone forward. I read a book called The Turbulent Twenties Survival Guide and it was a good read.  The book talks about what it’s like after you graduate college/or university, and what its like to try and find your place in the world and how to fit into it after we’ve been living a life that’s been so full of structure since day 1. There were so many things that I could relate to, it was almost scary! But it did help and I would recommend it to any graduate or soon-to-be graduate!

Things will look up! You just have to be patient. You have worked hard to where you are now and you know that you are capable of doing great things! Keep your chin up and enjoy the journey to finding your place in this big world! 

~Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment